A few years ago, the hope of providing all families within a state with funding to select the education avenues that would best serve their individual children was considered nearly unimaginable. Yet huge historic wins for educational freedom were achieved during the 2022 and 2023 legislative sessions.
States with Universal School Choice
As of two years ago, statewide school choice wasn’t a reality. Today, 10 states have signed universal or near-universal school choice into law:
- Six states — Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Utah, and West Virginia — passed universal education savings accounts.
- Three states — Indiana, North Carolina, and Ohio — passed private school vouchers.
- One state — Oklahoma — passed a universal tax credit for private school tuition and homeschooling expenses.
Education Savings Accounts
Of the various school choice programs, education savings accounts are the most flexible, granting families the ability to receive a government-authorized savings account that can be used to fund the educational avenue of their choice.
- As of now, 15 states have enacted education savings account programs.
- Nine states — Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee — have education savings account programs that reach qualifying students based on varying requirements.
- Six states — Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Utah, and West Virginia — have universal education savings account programs with all students statewide qualifying.
- Other states are positioned to join the education savings account ranks in the coming years.
We have been on the front lines when it comes to making educational freedom a reality for more and more families throughout the country.
Would you join us in this work through a tax-deductible donation to help us keep up the tremendous momentum of significant wins achieved, reaching more states?
We aren’t stopping, as all children in every state must have the opportunity to receive a high-quality education that supports parental rights and aligns with the values of their family.
If you missed our annual ACTE Special Day of Giving recently, it is not too late to join us – There is no more important investment than the education and protection of children.