Sternberg, Smithsonian, Meyer, And The Paper That Started It All
In August of 2004, news agencies began reporting on the controversy surrounding the publication of an article arguing for the theory of intelligent design in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Then editor, Dr. Richard Sternberg, came under intense scrutiny and even persecution for publishing the article, written by Discovery senior fellow Dr. Stephen Meyer.
The Proceedings is published at the National Museum of Natural History at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
Here then are links to all of the relevant information about this story.
- The controversial article published in the Proceedings: The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories”
- Report from U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Government Reform: Intolerance and the Politicization of Science at the Smithsonian
- Backgrounder: Article Sparks Controversy
- The homepage of Dr. Richard Sternberg
Mainstream media coverage
- November 10, 2005, All Things Considered (NPR)
- September 11, 2005, Awake, Alive & Jewish (WTOP)
- August 25, 2005, The O’Reilly Factor (Fox News)
- August 19, 2005, The Washington Post: “Controversial Editor Backed: Editor Explains Reasons for ‘Intelligent Design’ Article”
- August 16, 2005, National Review: “Unintelligent Design: Hostility toward religious believers at the nations museum.”
- February 14, 2005, The Washington Times: “Researcher Claims Bias by Smithsonian”
- January 28, 2005, The Wall Street Journal: The Branding of a Heretic: Are religious scientists unwelcome at the Smithsonian?
Discovery News Items
- Smithsonian Scientist Was Demoted for Views Critical of Darwinian Evolution
- Darwinists Impose Gag Rule on Science
- NCSE Flip Flops as Controversy over Peer-Reviewed Article Continues
- Meyer Article Attracts Unprecedented Attention Thanks to the NCSE
- September 3, 2004, Scientist: Intelligent design study appears
- September 10, 2004 <Chronicle of Higher Education: “Biology Journal Says It Mistakenly Published Paper That Attacks Darwinian Evolution”
- Dr. Meyer’s letter responding to an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Dr. Mark Hartwig: Bitten! Meyer article Continues to Cause Controversy
- Albert Mohler: Panicked Evolutionists: The Stephen Meyer Controversy
- Denyse O’Leary: Darwinism a Scientific Scandal
Responses to criticism of Dr. Meyer’s article
(Any further responses will be listed on the CSC website, as well as on this page.)