This position involves the production, proofing, and maintenance of written, audio, and video content for Discovery Institute’s various websites and online platforms; assisting in the production process for books published by Discovery Institute Press; assisting in the production of email newsletters; and assisting in pushing data into other online systems. The position primarily supports the work of Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture, but it will also assist in tasks for other Discovery Institute programs.
The position reports primarily to the Web Development and Data Administrator. Working as a part of an experienced team, the successful candidate will be web savvy, enjoy helping communicate important ideas and information, and have the opportunity to become proficient as a web builder and assist in the administration of a dozen online systems. Candidates with writing and editorial skills may also have opportunities to curate, summarize, and author original content.
About Discovery Institute and Its Center for Science and Culture
Discovery Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan organization focused on research, education, action, and cultural renewal. The mission of its Center for Science and Culture is to advance the understanding that human beings and nature are the result of intelligent design rather than a blind and undirected process. The Institute as a whole has a special interest in exploring how science and technology can advance free markets, propel new discoveries, illuminate public policy, and support human dignity and the metaphysical foundations of a free society. The Institute sponsors research in the sciences, humanities, and public policy. It organizes conferences, seminars, and educational programs for both young people and adults. It produces and disseminates books, articles, reports, and a wide array of multimedia content designed to inform the public.
- A passion for supporting the mission and programs of Discovery Institute, its Center for Science and Culture, and other Discovery Institute programs.
- Eagerness to serve and collaborate to support online publication of content for both internal and external audiences
- Proficiency in English, and solid written communication skills in English.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Either: Residency in Washington State and a willingness to work at our central office in downtown Seattle (preferred); or residency in Texas and a willingness to work remotely.
- Aptitude for working with and becoming proficient in a variety of web-based tools.
- The ability to manage many pieces of content and data at once while maintaining data integrity and accuracy.
- An aesthetic eye to curate high-quality images for social media and corporate websites.
- The ability to follow best practices and Discovery Institute conventions and style guide in writing, auditing, and documenting.
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience with HTML and/or CSS.
- Previous content management systems experience, especially in WordPress.
- Some proficiency in multimedia editing tools.
- Perform daily quality control on Discovery websites and publications, ensuring that content is current and presented without error.
- Consistently audit Discovery’s websites for errors, broken links, missing meta tags, etcetera and implement solutions on an ongoing basis.
- Manage supporter, subscriber, and event data in a suite of SAAS systems. (Salesforce, Pardot, Zoom, and Eventbrite).
- Publish articles, files, books, videos, podcasts, and products at discovery.org and related websites.
- Collate and publish email newsletters using Pardot.
- Assist book production/distribution process for Discovery Institute Press, and maintain Discovery Institute Press website.
- Assist with multimedia production/distribution.
- Provide technical support for authors and editors of Discovery websites and data systems, including event publication system.
- Assist with creating show notes for videos and podcasts and publish to online platforms.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with benefits (medical, dental, vision, bus pass). Estimated salary is $40,000-$54,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
To complete the application you will need to upload a resume and a cover letter. The cover letter should include the following information:
- Describe why you would like to work for Discovery Institute, especially its Center for Science and Culture, speaking directly to the mission and programming of the Center.
- Describe the relevant skills and experience you would bring to the position.
- Provide a desired salary range and your earliest available start date.
You will also be given an opportunity to upload writing samples and/or a portfolio of photography or design work.