Center for Science & Culture, Discovery Institute
The Executive Assistant to the Managing Director and Project Manager of Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture (CSC) is a full-time salaried position working out of the Institute’s downtown Seattle office. Preferred starting date is January 1, 2023. The position reports primarily to the Managing Director of the Center for Science and Culture. Before applying, applicants are encouraged to review the Mission and Programs of Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture.
Location | Seattle, WA
Responsibilities of this position include:
- business management tasks (e.g., overseeing issuing of contracts for Discovery Institute Press books and other initiatives; investigating, evaluating, and deciding permission requests for use of intellectual property as well as issuing contracts related to those requests; acting as back-up staff person for depositing of checks to the bank; tracking book royalties for Discovery Institute Press and managing process for payout of royalties each year; assisting the Managing Director in his budget oversight for the Center for Science and Culture)
- project management (e.g., developing/managing marketing campaigns for key initiatives; editorial management of content for email newsletters; developing/managing new initiatives or resources as assigned, such as overseeing the production process for a book or online course)
- research and writing (e.g., researching legal/policy/factual questions for Managing Director and summarizing results and making recommendations in memos or meetings; researching questions related to upcoming book projects by Managing Director; proof-reading and editing documents, including book manuscripts; developing new materials/writing articles featuring CSC content)
- administrative support for the Managing Director (e.g., mailing, filing, scanning, financial reimbursements and tracking, responding to emails and phone-calls on behalf of the Director; representing Managing Director in meetings; making arrangements for small private meetings involving the Managing Director)
- other tasks as assigned based on the skills of the person chosen for the position
Qualifications for this position include:
- strong administrative and organizational skills, including an ability to focus on details and make sure that things don’t “fall through the cracks”
- good writing and editing skills
- discretion in dealing with private/confidential information
- ability to use a computer with the Macintosh operating system
- good skills in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- a desire to develop and exercise skills in a variety of areas and to work on several projects simultaneously
- a willingness to work in an office in downtown Seattle
- a willingness to be flexible and learn new skills as needed
- an ability to prioritize and be proactive
- an ability to work independently with limited supervision
- a knowledge of the debate over intelligent design and evolution, and an enthusiastic commitment to the program and principles of Discovery Institute and its Center for Science and Culture
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $43,000-$58,000. The position includes vacation, holidays, sick leave, health insurance (medical, dental, vision), and a public transit pass.
To apply for the position, please use this link to send a resume (or CV) and a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe why you would like to work for Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture, speaking directly to the mission and programming of the Center.
- Describe the relevant skills and experience you would bring to the position.
- Provide a desired salary range and your earliest available start date.