We are pleased to announce the Conference on Engineering in Living Systems (CELS 2021) to be held in Denton, Texas.
CELS 2021 brings together leading engineers and biologists in order to: (1) apply engineering principles to better understand biological systems, (2) craft a design-based theoretical framework that explains and predicts the behaviors of living systems, and (3) develop research programs that demonstrate the engineering principles at work in living systems.
The conference will follow a workshop-like format of discussion-oriented sessions in a collegial setting, with a goal of fostering active participation and establishing concrete results and action items.
Topics include the following:
- Intersection of Biology and Engineering — the impacts of engineering thinking in the study of biology
- Architecture of Living Systems — design principles and design patterns in living systems
- Theory of Design — theoretical foundations for a positive theory of design in living systems
- Adaptation — mechanisms and processes used by living systems to adapt to changing circumstances and environments
- Coherence — organization of capabilities and processes to achieve and sustain life
- Orchestration and Optimization — control systems and lifecycle processes
- Interdependency and Causal Circularity — how complex and coherent systems are initialized and jumpstarted
- Resilience — failure prevention and anti-fragility in living systems
- Applications and Models — formal methods for modeling and understanding of living systems
How to apply:
Space is limited, so we will be taking applications for attendance, with priority given to those who are able to attend all three days of the conference and actively contribute in the working sessions.
If you are interested in attending, please complete this brief application. If accepted, you will be notified approximately 2-4 weeks after submitting your application, to provide ample time to can arrange your travel.
CELS 2021 is organized by the Engineering Research Group (ERG) at the Center for Science & Culture, Discovery Institute.
June 3–5, 2021
8200 E McKinney Street
Denton, TX 76208
Early Bird Rate — $225
(Increases to $325 after April 22nd)
Includes all meals during the conference; attendees will be responsible for their own travel and accommodations. We have reserved a block of rooms on the camp property that can be purchased at time of registration.
Contact Steve Laufmann at email@example.com.