Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Development Operations for the Center for Science and Culture (CSC), the Marketing and Communication Coordinator gathers stories, writes text, and designs collateral to be used in printed fundraising communications, as well as in CSC websites, social media, email marketing, and subscriber/donor engagement campaigns. In addition, manages donor connections with 100 to 150 donors who give up to $300 per year, and supports Stewardship Officers and Regional Ambassadors in customizing documents to be used with donors (introduction letters, impact documents, leave-behind proposals, etc.). This is a full-time position based in the Seattle office. Before applying, applicants are encouraged to review the Mission and Programs of Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture.
Location | Seattle, WA
- Bachelor’s degree, with an emphasis in communications, journalism, marketing, English, or other related degrees.
- Excellent written communication skills, specifically related to fundraising and grant writing.
- Intermediate knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, and other social media best practices.
- Proven professional competence
- Demonstrated ability in showing personal initiative and attention to detail.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and database/CRM programs.
- Basic knowledge of the work of Discovery Institute.
- Team Player with the ability to interact with a variety of personalities and skill levels.
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to the above requirements)
- Advanced knowledge of Salesforce-based CRM systems and Pardot (Salesforce).
- Advanced knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, and other social media best practices.
- Intermediate knowledge of online form building and email programs.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and database/CRM programs.
Story Telling (fundraising and social media)
Creates and manages mechanism to gather stories from CSC donors and subscribers. Works with Director, designer, and other staff to draft stories, gather visuals to illuminate them, and create coordinated fundraising campaigns with 2-3 of those stories each year.
Social Media and Email Marketing
Responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring our Social Media strategy to increase our online presence and improve our fundraising efforts. Utilizes Pardot Engagement Studio to create plans and marketing automation to engage existing subscribers on a higher level (especially with regard to fundraising). Works closely with the Director of Development Operations, CSC Director of Communications, Director of the Bradley Center (CNAI), Director of Media and Branding, and the Managing Director of the CSC.
Donor Care and Retention
Maintains annual contact with 150-200 donors who give less than $300 per year, based on established procedures, Writes thank you notes, calls and/or emails annually to thank for gift. Tracks all activities in CRM.
CSC Donations and Grant Payments
Back-up for other staff in various donation processes, including data entry of information in CRM (Salesforce or Click & Pledge); check processing; updating donor record (including address, email, etc.); exporting data for merging acknowledgement letters; print and proof letters.
Special Events and In-House Mailings
Assists in all aspects of special events and in-house mailings as needed, under the coordination of the Data and Systems Coordinator or the Director of Development Operations.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with benefits (bus pass, medical and dental). Requires a regular presence in our Seattle office. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply for the position, please use this link to send a resume (or CV) and a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe why you would like to work for Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture, speaking directly to the mission and programming of the Center.
- Describe the relevant skills and experience you would bring to the position.
- Provide a desired salary range and your earliest available start date.
Direct questions to:
Director, Development Operations
208 Columbia Street, Seattle, WA 98104