This position has now been filled.
Discovery Institute seeks qualified applicants for the position of Development Assistant for the Center for Science and Culture (CSC). Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Development Operations, the Development Assistant works as a team with other development staff to process donations, assemble mailings, support development officers, maintain systems, and communicate with donors. Also is responsible for providing consistent front desk presence, as well as phone and email coverage for Discovery Institute and the Center for Science and Culture. This is a full-time position based in the Seattle office. Before applying, applicants are encouraged to review the Mission and Programs of Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture.
Location | Seattle, WA
- Associate’s degree with emphasis in business administration, accounting, communications, or other related field
- One year of experience as administrative or program assistant
- Intermediate knowledge Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook) or other similar programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Basic knowledge of customer relations management software, specifically Salesforce/Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP)
- Team Player with ability to interact with a variety of personalities and skill levels
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to above requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree, with emphasis in business administration, accounting, communications, or other related degree.
- Two years of experience as administrative or program assistant.
- Intermediate knowledge of Salesforce NPSP.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 programs.
Donation Processing and Donor Research
Process donations according to established CRM and accounting procedures. Includes data entry in CRM (Salesforce), printing letters and scanning documentation. Assembles new member premiums as needed.
Donor Care and Retention
Maintains annual contact with 300-500 donors who give less than $1,000 per year. Writes thank you notes, calls and/or emails annually to thank for gift. Tracks all activities in CRM.
Donor Updates and Direct Mailings
Assists in all donor care and fundraising mailings as directed by the Donor Care Coordinator.
General Office Support and Reception
Welcomes guests, receives shipments, and answers/directs incoming calls for Discovery Institute. Monitors firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com email inboxes. Assists in special event set-up, as needed.
CRM Maintenance (Salesforce)
Reviews and cleans-up data on a regular basis; enters new contacts as requested; updates database when mail is returned.
Development Officer Support
Provides support to one or two Regional Ambassadors/Stewardship Officers by researching donors, assigning follow-up tasks, and trip planning by pulling regional lists of donors and potential donors.
Daily Revenue Report
Back-up for review of the Daily Revenue Report to assign credit for gifts, updating donor campaign status, and researching new donors for giving potential and interests.
Back-up for data entry of names gathered at events. Coordinates mailings and other follow-up with participants as directed by Director of Development Operations.
Other Duties as Assigned
Support for other CSC or DI programs on an as needed basis and as approved by the Director of Development Operations.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with benefits (bus pass, medical and dental). Requires a regular presence in our Seattle office. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply for the position, send a resume (or CV) and a cover letter addressing the following:
- Describe why you would like to work for Discovery Institute’s Center for Science and Culture, speaking directly to the mission and programming of the Center.
- Describe the relevant skills and experience you would bring to the position.
- Provide a desired salary range and your earliest available start date.
Direct questions to:
Director, Development Operations
208 Columbia Street, Seattle, WA 98104