“If I can choose the doctor I send my child to, why can’t I choose the school?”
The question was recently posed by a mother to the Arizona Senate Education Committee. But it’s a question many parents across the country are asking.
Not only can parents choose their child’s doctor, they rightfully have the authority to make decisions about many aspects of their children’s lives — everything from their schedules to what they eat to who they can spend time with. But when it comes to what may be the most impactful decision of their child’s life — the school they attend — many parents have no choice but to send their children to the local poor-performing government-run school. This lack of choice hurts low-income families the most, as they don’t have the means to send their children to private schools or to pursue homeschooling or other alternatives.
At ACTE, we believe choice can be a game changer — and competition makes better educational options available. That’s why we’re dedicated to the cause to fund students not systems. We believe that parents should have a choice and a voice in the education of their children. As their children’s first teacher, and the ones who know them best, they should have the ultimate say in whether their child remains in the traditional public school or choose a different education path.
As ACTE Director Dr. Keri Ingraham has stated, “Experience has shown that students in schools and settings other than traditional public schools, whether public charter schools, private schools, or homeschool, consistently outperform their peers. Research has shown that the competition improves public schools also.”
Through our work with state government policymakers, educators, business leaders, parents, and other education stakeholders, we advocate for policies that empower parents and transform our education system.
This work is not possible without your support. Can we count on you to make 2022 the most impactful year yet in expanding education choices for all children?
- Donate $25 to put Every School: One Citizen’s Guide to Transforming Education in the hands of key state leaders.
- Donate $100 to promote the timely research and articles of the American Center for Transforming Education (ACTE) on social media.
- Donate $500 to enable ACTE Director Dr. Keri D. Ingraham to conduct investigative research revealing the stifling of parent voices when it comes to freedom of choice in education.
- Donate $1,000 to send ACTE Chairman & Senior Fellow Don Nielsen to communities and organizations to deliver the ACTE message focused on a strategic game plan to transform schools.
- Donate $2,500 to enable Dr. Ingraham to engage with school communities, legislators, and media outlets to promote the expansion of public support for school choice.
The wind of change is in the air. Across the nation, parents are speaking out boldly against school districts who increasingly put indoctrination above education — with their voices, their ballots, and their feet, through the mass exodus from public schools. And as Dr. Ingraham has noted, “No longer is the promotion of school choice solely a Republican-driven priority. Democrats, too, have become fed up with the extended school closures and subpar academic performance of traditional public schools and are now increasing their support for education initiatives that place power with parents.”
Our students deserve better. Educational freedom is the key to transforming K-12 education in America. Join the growing national movement to make educational freedom available to all families, not just to the elite and wealthy.